Through modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) technology, Point Five Packaging can decrease the oxidation process within produce and other food packaging to keep MAP fruits and vegetables from degrading as quickly. One MAP method, gas flushing, is a nitrogen-packed food technique ideal for displacing oxygen within produce packaging. Barrier packaging films are another option, keeping contaminants, moisture and gases from the produce for enhanced shelf life.
Using advanced technology for fresh produce packaging is an important consideration for growers, retailers and consumers alike. Farmers know that well-made packaging will help keep products fresh and in marketable condition longer, free of contaminants and damage. Retailers depend on appealing packaging to help sell products that consumers will want to pick up while keeping produce fresh on their shelves. Consumers expect packaging to deliver a safe product with proper labeling in a convenient format for grab-and-go needs.
Produce food packaging made with MAP technology achieves the following:
- Lengthening product shelf life. Produce food packaging protects fruits and vegetables from external elements and premature spoilage, keeping nutrients in and slowing dehydration to prevent unnecessary food waste. We can control or modify the atmosphere inside the packaging to keep produce continually fresh without the need for vacuum sealing, preservatives or artificial additives.
- Significantly reducing the risk of contamination. Packaging protects produce from environmental factors like gases, chemicals, moisture and ultraviolet light. It also safeguards against biological threats like insects, rodents and pathogens that accelerate spoilage and spread disease. Vegetable and fruit packaging provides a barrier against these agents to keep produce safe.
- Protecting products from damage. Packaging helps reduce the risk of damage that comes from shock, vibration and impact during product transportation and more. It helps prevent foods from being crushed or bruised so that consumers will want to buy them.
- Increasing product impact on consumers. Attractive packaging makes an impact on consumers, encouraging them to make a purchase and differentiating a product from its competitor. Also, fresh food looks more appealing to better the chances that consumers will make a purchase.
- Product innovation and convenience. Using cutting-edge packaging materials and designs, produce can now be packed in ready-to-eat, pre-seasoned and microwaveable formats as well as smaller grab-and-go portions for today’s active lifestyle.